The hot, humid climate we experience during this season in Louisiana can often make your home feel sticky and uncomfortable. Unfortunately, it can also cause excessive microbial growth. When microbes get out of control, they not only can produce an unpleasant odor in your home, but they can also cause damage to your property and health concerns.
The good news is that you don’t have to deal with microbial growth, even when the hot, humid weather is at its peak. In this article, we’ll talk about some of the things that you can do to mitigate microbial growth in your home, and how Burkhardt can help provide you with products and services to help keep them at bay. Keep reading to learn more!
5 Ways You Can Keep Microbial Growth at Bay
Worried about microbes taking up residence in your home because of heat and humidity? Here are a few things you can do to keep your home as microbe-free as possible:
- Control the humidity. This is the most important thing you can do to prevent microbial growth. The ideal humidity level in your home is between 50% and 60%. You can use a hygrometer to check the humidity levels in your home. If the humidity is too high, you may need a dehumidifier.
- Fix any plumbing leaks. Leaks are a major source of moisture in the home, and they can lead to microbial growth. If you have any leaks, fix them as soon as possible.
- Ventilate your home. Proper ventilation helps to circulate the air and remove moisture. You may want to consider installing fans in your home to help circulate the air. And, make sure to run your bathroom fans while showering and your stove fan while boiling water.
- Keep your home clean and dry. This means cleaning up spills and messes promptly and drying wet clothes and towels completely. You should also wash your curtains and rugs regularly.
- Use microbe-resistant materials. When you are choosing materials for your home, look for those that are microbe-resistant. This includes things like paints, sealants, and flooring.
- Be aware of potential problem areas. Some areas of your home are more prone to microbial growth than others. These include the bathroom, basement, and kitchen. Pay extra attention to these areas and take steps to prevent microbial growth.
If you follow these tips, you can help to keep microbes out of your home during humid weather.
How can Burkhardt help with humidity concerns?
Some homes, especially newer ones, may need a little extra help when it comes to keeping microbial growth at bay. That’s because newer homes are generally designed to be more airtight and energy efficient. While this can help when it comes to your utility bills, it can also mean that damp air gets trapped inside your home more easily. Fortunately, some products can help.
- Air Conditioning Systems: Air conditioners help remove some moisture from the air, making you feel cooler and more comfortable. During times of high humidity, though, they may not be as effective so you may need to consider a dehumidification system as well.
- Dehumidifiers: Our whole-home dehumidifiers work by removing the moisture from the air in your home. The extracted water is piped out of your home via a drainage system. You won’t have to worry about microbial growth, and your home’s cooling system will be able to perform more efficiently.
- UV Air Purifiers: Using ultraviolet light, UV air purifiers effectively trap and kill many contaminants that can cause poor indoor air quality. They’ve been proven effective against mold, spores, bacteria, and other pathogens.
- UV Coil Purifiers: These are installed in your air conditioning or heat pump system. If microbes grow in your system, they can be repeatedly circulated throughout the air in your home, leading to poor indoor air quality. UV coil purifiers will use ultraviolet light to kill contaminants, like mold and bacteria, that can collect on your system’s coils.
I want to learn more about keeping microbial growth out of my home.
At Burkhardt, our goal is the best possible comfort for you and your family. That’s why we offer our customers a variety of products that can help keep microbes out of your home and help you and your family to feel more comfortable. You can rely on Burkhardt Air Conditioning, Heating, Electrical & Generators to meet your needs. Call us today at 985.626.7741 for friendly, professional assistance.